Friday, March 5, 2010

The Beautiful Unknown



Today my intention had been to take a couple of tango classes, shop for shoes and hit a milonga this evening. I knew there was a cemetary in the middle of town which houses the tomb of Eva Peron however I was indifferent about going. Well I ended up there and it was incredible.

I have posted a large assortment of pictures on Facebook of the beautiful statues found in, on and upon the enormous mausoleums. When surrounded by beauty and loss, you can imagine I had a number of people in my memories with me today to keep me company on my journey. I spent a lot of time thinking about the people I have lost, what they meant to me and what they would want their "house of rest" to look like if they had the same options and imagination. I also wondered what mine would look like. I think I would opt for upbeat rather than the images of mourning and pain. It's an interesting thought. I had an image of Matt on a wakeboard half 3D out of the wall which brought a smile.

I think what struck me most was a recent tomb (2009) where the roof was stained glass. It was a sunny day and the light shining through cast colors all over the monuments next to it and down the dark corridor. It was the epitome of how I want my life and afterlife to be... to shine love and colors on those around me - even after I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment