Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Why Aren't You Traveling?

As I wrap up my trip I wonder why I don't travel more often -- why more people don't travel more often? It's almost magical that you can get in a plane and the next day (or same day) arrive in a completely different world than the one you know. I can be sitting in a stale office on Monday and be in a gondola in Venice the next day. How crazy is that?

These are the excuses I most hear. Have you uttered these words? I would definitely ask you to re-think the reasons you aren't exploring the world - and this can include niches of life in the US.

* I don’t have the money : Save. Plan. And there are cheap alternatives out there. Who do you know that you could stay with as a "homebase"? Do you know someone with a timeshare?

* I don’t have the vacation time : Budget in unpaid time off if your employer will allow. If they won't then your employer is an a-hole who doesn't understand work/life balance and should be fired.

* I have kids : Then you should be allowing them the experience of new places and cultures. Yes its logistically more challenging but it is also a gift to your kids. What they take away should be far worth it.

* I don’t know where I want to go : This is trickier because there are so many options. Do you have a hobby? Something you like to do? My hobby is obviously dancing. Maybe yours is sports - what about the football hall of fame? Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? An interest in old cemetaries? You have to like something... start with that notion.
* What will be fun to do when I get there? I'm not a huge fan of planning every detail before I get to a place. I don't like touristy things, shopping or sightseeing. I like to go where the locals go so if I know someone from there I always talk to them. I also pick up a paper when I arrive and see what things are going on around town. In New Zealand I spent a few days watching their colleges compete in a ton of different sports that happen to be in town. I also signed up for the XTerra trail run on a whim. Get there -- then figure it out. That's half the fun.

* I’m afraid to fly : You can stay within the continent and still find new experiences. Also - valium. Suggest for "traveling with kids" referenced above.

* I don’t speak the language / I’m intimidated by non-english speaking countries : I completely understand this anxiety as this part terrifies me. However a little Rosetta Stone or some basic phrases and you can get through most major cities around the world. Most places have signs in English or at least pictures that are universal. You are going to make mistakes. You may look foolish from time to time but is that really what's stopping you?

* I don’t have anyone to go with : You don't need anyone to go with. Trust me. Try it out for a weekend trip and see. You'll actually start to hear your own thoughts from once. (These thoughts may be dangerous for some people). I think there are advantages to traveling alone. You are more approachable and people are far nicer to you. You get to do everything you want and nothing you don't -- when and where you want to do it. How can you beat that?


So, I encourage you to meet new people, see new places and view life from another perspective. Sometimes the perspective is brighter and other times it makes you appreciate what you have. Either way I think you come back a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment