Monday, March 8, 2010

Tango Night 4 - Salon Canning


Instead of running shoes, I put on a sundress and some flipflops and strolled to downtown Recoleta with a book and my iPod. Had a nice day of lounging and listening to music in the parks. It's amazing to me how many people spend time in the parks and how many children play in the many playgrounds around town. They are always full. It's a much simpler, calmer way of life. I also imagine it's due to families living in apartments rather than houses - they are forced to get outside for breathing room.

Last night I stopped in at Salon Canning, another tango dance hall. It was much more in line with Nino Bien; an older, traditional crowd. Now that I knew about La Viruta and their tendency toward the younger tango nuevo, I was spoiled.

I stayed at Salon Canning a bit and then went over to La Viruta where there was mass swing lessons in progress (midnight mind you. Nothing starts early here. The social dancing on Sunday nights doesn't even start until 12:30!). There were three dancefloors teaching swing and the main dancefloor had 3 separate groups due to the number of people. Probably between 150-200 dancers learning swing. Crazy.

They also teach the triple step basic with this little kick in the middle. Super hard if the music is fast. They also teach somewhat bouncey -- or everyone is still so new to the dance, they bounce. We remember how that was, right?

I got lucky and was able to dance with some of the teachers once the dancefloor opened up. I also got more dancing in with the cute swing "french" boy from the night before(turns out not French, Argentinian). The remainder of the night they played half swing and half tango music which was exactly what I needed. Hung out with some Austrians. Another great evening out.

Also - I was told that the best tango dancers in the area all come to this place after 2am or 3am so I decided to stay for the 3am crowd. AMAZING! I don't think anyone would need to go to a tango show. They could stop in at 3am and watch the dancing here. It was a dancefloor full of the most incredible dancers I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment