Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tango Night 3 - La Viruta Part Deux


Despite feet that wanted to disown me I strapped on my new shoes and new tango dress and headed back to La Viruta. Early in the night they played a swing set of rock n roll a la Elvis and I was abe to snag a good partner. Apparently they are starting to teach swing more regularly down here.

To tango onlookers I was a hit in a swing arena. Unfortunately I am afraid they may have translated these skills to being equivalent in tango -- which is quite disappointing for them.

The good news is that I was far too exhausted to care which -- strangely -- improved my dancing. I have been so nervous and uptight that dancing was a struggle. Once I let go because I had no energy, my dancing fell into place (as good as it's going to get for now). I was asked to dance all night and finally had to take off my shoes as a gesture that I needed to rest (language barrier still rough).

The last part of my night I was asked to dance by a cute Argentinian whose english was less than my spanish. From what I gather he is probably a tango teacher. He was really good and I could actually follow his lead more than others. And he asked me to dance a second set!! This is probably the first time I've eve danced tango and "got it" if that makes any sense. It was a lucky ending to the night and I'm thankful for his patience.

Thankfully I brought an icepack to Argentina and was able to ice my back and feet last night (i.e. this morning - the milongas don't even start until 11pm. Normal hours are 11 pm - 4 am). We'll see if my body can handle another day. It has to dangit!

No comments:

Post a Comment