Thursday, March 4, 2010

MARCH FORTH


It would be fitting that today is March 4th (MARCH FORTH!) since I had to give in to the fact that my work computer is not going to work and this trip will instead be a one week vacation. At first I was disappointed but now I have taken on a new attitude. I am going to make the most of every work-free minute I have, venture out and see what this city has to offer. As it turns out it is quite lovely here (thank you to the sunshine for coming out today. Rain is on the way).

RECON : So now this is a trip to do some recon -- to see what neighborhoods I like, which ones I don't, how safe the subway systems run, how the taxi drivers are and of course tango tango tango. I hope to come back with some friends next time and have everything mapped out with some familiarity.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY : A HUGE Happy Birthday to Mona, my tango teacher and the most beautiful and inspirational dancer I know. Without her I would not be on this trip today. I hope to bring you here Mona -- you will fall in love.

WHAT I SAW : Like most trips I take, for work or pleasure, I like to take the first day and walk the neighborhood(s) on foot. We are in between rain, so today was warm, sunny and lovely. Here are some great things about today. (p.s. what a difference sleep and food makes in ones attitude)

1. I actually saw a woman assist an old woman (stranger) across the street and into a taxi.
2. Parents walk their kids home from school. What? Very sweet.
3. I found beautiful parks and monuments - I will stay in this area next trip
4. Located a gym, pedicure salon and grocery store, all conveniently located within 2 blocks of my apartment.
5. found the park where all the hot guys run, sweaty and shirtless -- and all of these guys SHOULD be shirtless. Delicious!!!!! (everyone here is into soccer and I imagine these are soccer players. I had one stop and ask me the time. I was speechless -- and had Cali time on my watch which was very confusing to him)

So tonight I am going to brave taxi and tango, hitting Nino Bien, one of the places Jorge, tango teacher, recommended. Hopefully the teacher he knows is teaching tonight -- will be nice to have some connection and someone who speaks english. This trip tonight is highly intimidating.

No comments:

Post a Comment