Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Locked Out


When I arrived in Buenos Aires this morning, highly sleep deprived, I made it to my apartment where the owner and property manager met me. There wasn't a neighborhood that we drove through on the way that I was all that thrilled to stop in.

They gave me the keys to the door which looked like old Sherlock Holmes keys. I didn't know these things still existed nor how to work them. They showed me the place then had me follow them downstairs to see where the outgoing mail should be placed -- then they left out of the front (security door).

I got back upstairs to realize the door to the apartment automatically locks. No worries, I had keys. But I couldn't figure out how to use them!!

I ran back downstairs trying to catch the guys but splatted face first into the security door. You apparently have to unlock it to get both OUT, and in. I had trouble opening that door too. By the time I did, the guys were long gone.

Now understand that every piece of my possession and well being was in the apartment -- on the other side of the door I could not open. I had no money, passport, phone -- nothing. I was freaking out. I tried to remain calm figuring I was smart enough to figure out a door. I was in a severe state of panic. It took me FOREVER but I finally made it in... only to find out my work computer wouldn't work here. Good start...

No comments:

Post a Comment